The following is a summary of free services that are available to crime victims and witnesses:
- INFORMATION about the status of your court case through letters and phone calls
- NOTICE of court proceedings, including changes
- INFORMATION AND EXPLANATION about criminal justice proceedings
- ORIENTATION to the courtroom setting
- COMPANION to attend court with you and provide emotional support
- FINANCIAL COMPENSATION ASSISTANCE for victims of violent crimes
- EMPLOYER INTERVENTION to explain time missed from work due to required court appearances
- PRIVATE WAITING AREA prior to your court appearance
- PROPERTY RECOVERY of stolen items being held as evidence
- SUPPORT GROUP for family members and friends of murder victims
- ASSISTANCE if you are intimidated, harassed or afraid
- CALL THE WITNESS INFORMATION LINE for up-to-date court reporting times at 912-652-7330 for Superior Court and 912- 652-7327 for State Court, or check online at www.chathamcounty.org/vwapline.asp the night prior to scheduled court appearances
- ADVOCACY AND SUPPORT with any problems that you may be having as a result of the crime or court appearances
- REFERRAL to social service agencies, counselors and others who can assist you with personal problems.
The Victim-Witness Assistance Program is funded primarily by the Chatham County Commission.
Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday or by appointment.